Robot Wars 1994
The inaugural Robot Wars event took place on August 20th, 1994 at the Fort Mason Center, Herbst Pavillion in San Francisco. There were three classes:
Three events were featured within each weight class:
- Lightweight : 10-40 lbs.
- Middleweight : 41-70 lbs.
- Heavyweight : 71-100 lbs.
Other prize winners were:
- A standard 'Face-Off' tournament with a 5 or maybe 10 minute time limit (results below).
- Two 'Melee' fights - there was a lightweight melee with about 6 competitors and a never-repeated all weight-class melee with about 8. Phil Putman's 'Bloodletter' won lightweight and 'South Bay Mauler' took the open event.
- An unusual and never repeated 'Escort' event where 'bots attempted to protect a defenseless R/C drone from an attacking 'House Robot'. Winners were 'Zomo' (light), 'Omega Ex Machina' (middle), and 'Ramfire 2000' (heavy).
- Best Design : 'The Master'
- Best Engineering : 'Ramfire 2000'
- Strangest Robot : 'Andy Roid'
The original tournament records for the 1994 event are apparently lost. The tournament trees below are the result of my on-going research and reconstruction effort. Thanks to Mike Bungay for filling in some of the uncertain matches in the Heavyweight class!
Note that there were two different competitors named Will Wright. Both are very nice people. One (The Julie Bot) co-founded Maxis Software (Sim City, The Sims) and became rich and famous.
Robot Wars 1994 Official Promo (7:59)
Robot Wars 1994 Highlights Part 1 (13:42)
Robot Wars 1994 Highlights Part 2 (9:22)