Robot Wars 1994
The inaugural Robot Wars event took place on August 20th, 1994 at the Fort Mason Center, Herbst Pavillion in San Francisco. There were three classes:
Three events were featured within each weight class:
- Lightweight : 10-40 lbs.
- Middleweight : 41-70 lbs.
- Heavyweight : 71-100 lbs.
Other prize winners were:
- A standard 'Face-Off' tournament with a 5 minute (or maybe 10 minute) time limit (results below).
- Two 'Melee' fights - there was a lightweight melee with about 6 competitors and a never-repeated all weight-class melee with about 8. Phil Putman's 'Bloodletter' won lightweight and 'South Bay Mauler' took the open event.
- An unusual and never repeated 'Escort' event where 'bots attempted to protect a defenseless R/C drone from an attacking 'House Robot'. Winners were 'Zomo' (light), 'Omega Ex Machina' (middle), and 'Ramfire 2000' (heavy).
- Best Design : 'The Master'
- Best Engineering : 'Ramfire 2000'
- Strangest Robot : 'Andy Roid'
The original tournament records for the 1994 event are apparently lost. The tournament trees below are the result of my on-going research and reconstruction effort. Special thanks to Mike Bungay who was able to resolve a few of the unknown Heavyweight class matches.
Note that there were two different competitors named Will Wright. Both are very nice people. One (The Julie Bot) co-founded Maxis Software (Sim City, The Sims) and became rich and famous.
Robot Wars 1994 Official Promo (7:59)
Robot Wars 1994 Highlights Part 1 (13:42)
Robot Wars 1994 Highlights Part 2 (9:22)